Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 September 2007

Hickory woman to work with Peace Corps in Malawi

When Sondra Kimberlin, 61, retired from teaching at Catawba Valley Community College in December, she thought she would take a few months to decide what she wanted to do with the rest of her life. It didn't take her long to realize she wasnt happy sitting at home, not doing anything.

"I was vegetating, and was in a state of discontent," Kimberlin said. "I went down to Asheville to hear a presentation on the Peace Corps, just to listen. My specialty in teaching was speech, so I didn't think I could be of use to them. But they told me they would teach me what I needed to know to teach others in another country. I've always wanted to live in a different environment and learn a new language. So I thought I'd apply."

However, applying for the Peace Corps is not as simple as it sounds. Only about a third of the people who apply for the Peace Corps actually get in because the application process is so stringent.

Kimberlin first had to get a medical application. This includes an eye exam that was within the last six months. Then, she had to go to the dentist and have a chart written about everything that was ever done to each tooth. She had to have a complete physical, which included getting booster shots of all of her childhood immunizations.

"My doctor told me they'd never even done some of the tests they had to perform on me for the medical application," Kimberlin said. "And if one thing was out of whack on any of the tests, they'd have to do that test over again."

The application was completed with several letters of intent as to why she wanted to join. Kimberlin also had to meet with a recruiter in Greensboro who asked her multiple questions, including which country she wanted to live in. Although you sometimes don't get your first choice, Kimberlin was one of the lucky ones.

"I wanted to go to Africa because of the culture, the civil unrest, the status of women there is appalling. I've just always wanted to go there before I die," she said. "They offer you a country, and you have five days to turn an offer down. I'll be going to Malawi."

Kimberlin will fly to Africa on Sept. 25. She'll live with a Malawi family until December, while she learns the native language, Chichewa, as well as the culture. She's already been practicing the language with a tape she's received from the Peace Corps.

However, even though she's made the first cut and has been selected for the Peace Corps, there's no guarantee that she'll stay.

"Even though people are selected for the Peace Corps and go to the countries they're sent to, some people just can't adjust. Maybe they can't adjust to no electricity, or they can't get used to having corn porridge four times a week or community showers," Kimberlin said. "Whatever the reason, some people will go home."

Kimberlin, though plans to be one of the ones who will stick with it and remain in Malawi until December 2009. She is allowed to come back to the U.S. on vacation, but at her own expense.

While teaching in Malawi, Kimberlin must wear dresses that fall below her knee and wear close-toed shoes. Kimberlin said she was told the Malawi people dress conservatively not for themselves, but to respect other people.

"When was the last time you heard that in the United States? This is a society where respect is mandated. In the U.S., it's not even expected. I wanted to find out what these people have found out that made life so enjoyable. There are things to learn from these people," she said.

Kimberlin may be trading in French fries, vacuum cleaners and TV, but it's nothing to what she'll be getting in return.

"I want to experience from these people a culture that will change me. I'm willing to share my talents as a teacher and share hard work, but I want to be changed," she said.

No comments: