Total Pageviews

Monday 17 March 2008

DAD IS 'IMMENSELY' PROUD OF YOUNG COACH'S ACHIEVEMENTS


Young Emily Simpkins talks of her experience raising awareness of HIV among African girls with a passion and humility beyond her years.

She may have been given just one week to volunteer in Malawi to teach youngsters about Aids, using football to pass her knowledge on in a fun way, but it is an experience which changed her life.

And her father believes it is one which makes her an inspiration to others.

It was Emily's love of football which led her to Malawi through the Football Association's Changing Lives Saving Lives project.

She was chosen to represent Britain from 100 hopefuls after attending a national camp where she showed the skills of an exceptional young leader.

That led to Emily and three others being flown out last September to coach other young leaders in Africa.

She has achieved all this after securing a coaching apprenticeship 18 months ago at Derby County in the Community, where she now teaches schoolchildren the art of the beautiful game.

And she is still just 17 years old.

It is these achievements which prompted her dad, Michael Simpkins, to enter her into the Evening Telegraph's Community Champions Awards.

"I feel immensely proud of her as a daughter," said 47-year-old Mr Simpkins, of Long Street, Stapenhill.

"I just feel that her achievements over the last 12 months or so, including her Malawi trip, deserved some recognition."

The trip was the first time she had spent time away from home without her family but she was unfazed by the experience.

She said: "I think I'm very honoured to have gone to Africa and be chosen as a young leader.

"It was very hard and, though I'd prepared myself for it, when I got there it was a massive life-changing experience.

"The things I have taken away from Africa have been life skills for me."

Emily has always had a passion for football, ever since she kicked her first ball at the age of four. By eight, she was playing competitively.

Her love of the game continued to flourish and she says her future definitely lies in coaching and children.

"I have had so much enjoyment from football, and I still have. I just try to give that back to the children," she said. "I'm only 17 but I've had a great experience with football."

The awards, in conjunction with BBC Radio Derby, Derbyshire Building Society, Derby City Council and Derby County FC, give people a chance to nominate family, friends or neighbours for their work in the community.

There are 12 categories, including teacher of the year, great neighbour and children in the community.

No comments: